Friday 28 December 2012

My Love

So, we are now fully into winter.  The sun rose in the centre of the milky way, the world didn't end and life is just as chaotic and normal for everyone.  I was so excited for the 21st December, I stayed up all night to watch the sunrise.  I couldn't see the sunrise though, and when it was raining constantly for days afterwards, I  thought this could be the start of 40 days and 40 nights of drizzle.  You  know of my love for the city of Amsterdam, I write and try to describe the magic of this beautiful city.  That was in the summer though, and in the winter, it is a different story and mood.

Since I left to go travelling, I have really felt like I have experienced every single day, and every season.  What I mean is that when you live day to day, you wake up and look out the window, and the weather decides your day.  You really appreciate a warmth, you feel the cold wind, you watch the leaves sprinkle and fall.  I am still out busking in the night, but my hours are now reduced due to the cold season.  It has felt like someone has been pushing pins into my fingers as I am playing, and I have felt the size of the challenge of living from your guitar with no home and no job in the winter.  My experience of Amsterdam is different than it being sunny, playing outdoors for hours, and sleeping outside.

When I returned from Liverpool with 10 euroes in my pocket and a bite of cold from the air, I tried to re tune myself into the busking travelling mentality.  It was hard though, I just feel like hibernating in the winter, but when you have no money, you have no choice about going out in wind or rain or cold and sleet to sing your songs on the street.  The gypsies are holding Waterlooplein vigorously between them, I haven't been able to find a good daytime spot that pays like Waterlooplein, but in the night I have the perfect spot.  I  go for an hour a night and make between 15 and 30 euroes.  This is just enough I feel to get me through the winter.  I was able to buy some nice presents and food and beer and had one of the best Christmas' of my life.

Busking will keep me fed and watered for the winter, a long with a few paid gigs and recording jobs.  But my main focus now, is on the 'Electric Soul Circus' album I am recording with Cato and Chiel.  We are 6 songs into a fun fare of songs, sounds and styles.  I am feeling it is some of the best music I have ever been involved in, with each track we just get better and better.  The last one we recorded is one of those ones that just brings a smile to your face, very brilliant combination and style.  We have built a studio in Cato's, and we now have a dedicated creative space.  I have a matress to sleep on in there, and I get to enjoy a real Dutch family meal and conversation each evening.  My Dutch is getting much better, and I  really feel a part of this beautiful family I am proud to call my dear friends and High Seas partners.

I'll be honest, I was scared of the Winter here, I knew she was changing seasons and I could feel the city become a different place.  But the love and help I have received my from friends here have given me the strength to feel that I can get through this cold season, and when it is over, know that I have came through a big challenge to a traveller living from his guitar.  This city does love me, I still feel that.  She is a challenging city, but that is what I love about her.  The harder the game, the greater the gain.  Things are harder in a lot of ways, but the rewards of the experiences I am having are making me a much stronger person.

Through the winter, if I ever feel a bit low, or a bit down in the city, the time when I remember best why I love it here is after I have been busking, made a good bit of money, buy a joint and then ride home.  The feeling of cruising along, high on my bike, after earning a good chunk of money from singing in the streets, will always bring a smile to my face.  Ringing my bell and parting the ocean.  Life is very beautiful here, and when the daffodils appear in a few months, it will be a heaven on earth to me.  Back to the days of playing in the sun for hours and hours, sleeping outside and riding for hours upon hours.

I was mostly working the festivals over the summer, Ruigoord, ADM, Fusion, Magneet, and loved it!  I was still busking a little bit between the festivals, but it was when I finished the Magneet that I threw myself into  it full time and started to make a good living from it.  This was in the close season - late September, so I know that when Spring comes, I am in a great position and mindset to make a really good income and experience the city even greater than these last 8 months.  My voice has a nice gravel crackle, I am learning lots of new songs, I know the best spots, so come on spring!!  I will be ready for you.

I make plans daily, and seasonally.  They are always subject to change though, as the uncertainty of a life on the road can flip things upside down at times.  But my plans at this moment are this*.....Winter, continue busking the night shift and earning a bit of bread.  Putting all recording energies into the 'ESC', spending as much time with the girl of my dreams.  Spring, hit the busking circuit day and night again and pay a little visit to Switzerland.  Summer tbc.

*Plans are subject to change without notice.  Your statutory rights are not effected.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Zappas Vibrations

Although I speak with so much love for my studio space, it does come with its challenging sides; mainly, the noise. You can have it all cos...