Thursday 9 May 2013

Better you give, better we live.....

Now I am back in Liverpool, I want to try and document all the stuff that I haven't yet about this past year,  before it becomes a memory with more reverb each passing day, lets call it a conclusion, or a ramble, or a brief history, or something less..............

I started to miss Amsterdam a little bit today.  My leg muscles have altered themselves to get used to all the walking I am doing now.  My shoes last much longer over there because I ride everywhere.  In the Winter I purchased the best pair of boots, a pair of Dutch leather Van Bommels.  They were a well made pair of boots.  Strong sturdy, great shape.  They had a good, almost military stomp as you walked.  They lasted me well, but a few weeks ago they perished.  Holes in the soles.  I would have carried on wearing them, but they were taking out a pair of  my bright socks each day.  I have a nice comfy pair of trainers now, but I often think of those Van Bommels.  I got them after I had made a good busk at Waterlooplein, my other pair were in bits, they had no zip, holes, were hanging off my feet.  I walked through the market, and my eyes spotted them immediately.  I tried them on, and they fitted like a dream.  I asked the guy how much, and he said 10 euroes.  I said 7.50 but it felt wrong trying to haggle as they were such a good pair of boots.  I said, my good sir, you have a deal.   R.I.P Van Bommels.........

I think one of the best memories of Amsterdam, was the garden house.  After the festival season, I was very empty and tired.  Maud had gone to the States for 2 months.  I wanted to hold out for her, cos I felt we had something special, while she was away, I was living in a garden house.  It is in the East of Amsterdam in this garden area.  Because everyone lives on top of eachother in Amsterdam, there are no gardens in the houses, lots of lovely balconies, but not gardens.  So for those with the green fingers they can buy a patch of garden in the East. Cato has a great one.  In each plot of land people build little houses and sheds and there are some beautiful ones.  Catos was a vintage one from the 30s.  It has a little wood oven, a gas oven, places to sleep.  It is a really amazing place.
I would cook my coffee the way I learned from Danni, the Moka way on the wood fire oven.  It would take 30 minutes to heat it up, and slowly fuse the coffee with slow steam.  I would mix in some milk, and some chcoclate sometimes.  It really was the best coffee ever.  I would drink them until 9pm just playing guitar, singing so loud cos not a sole was around for a mile.  I would wonder why I couldnt sleep, but I just couldnt resist those coffees!  There was no distractions there.  No electricity, just a guitar and a very good acoustic sound.  No light, just candles, I really would play for hours and hours, then go busking, then go back.  It was the first time I really felt I had my own place in Amsterdam. I watched the season turn into Autumn there, the leaves falling one by one, the squirrels burying nuts, a beautiful change to yellow and gold and red.

It was the perfect remedy after a heavy festival season.  I have not even mentioned I dont think, Fusion festival.  That is mostly because it is still like a dream to me.  It was June, I jumped the train to Groningen the other side of Holland and met with Danni.  We had done a couple of festivals together over the last few weeks, the squatted villages of Ruigoord and ADM.  Making good coffee and food, sleeping in the camper van.  Taking in the sunshine.  We took an 8 hour ride in a massive van to Germany.  The camper was a big one, and had a kitchen, it was carrying all the stuff and even the motorbike we cook the coffee on.  It was a great ride, with the open skies and fields infront of us.  Cruising along at a slow 70km all the way.  Feet up under the window.  We got to Fusion and it was a strange atmosphere at first.  But once we were setting up some lovely German lads came and helped, drunk a beer with us and I got a great vibe.

The festival started to build, and it was special.  There was not one security guard around, just people.  It was a massive festival, but such a calm atmosphere.  I loved working the coffee bar, I would take pride and make it with love, people were quite fascinated by me.  I met some really amazing people there, and got a great feeling towards to German people and language and all.  I would wonder around in a crazy trip all evening watching guys fight with lightening, amazing bands, a hammock, a pale crescent moon on a clear summers night, just good people.  Once sunrise came, I would snap out of it, and go and get the coffee bar running.  The coffeebar is a motorbike with a wood oven on the front, and is this amazing creation.  I would wheel it to a good spot and watch the sunrise making and selling coffees, having great conversations.  Wow, such a warm smile just thinking about it.

As the days passed the party became even grander.  Saturday night was the peak.  After experiencing such amazing things, a guy on a piano, on wheels cycling all different directions, singing mad lyrics.  Fire shows in the middle of nowhere.  All through it, the lyrics to a hard rains gonna fall was going through my head, and all the imagery that it conjoured, I felt I was living.  On the Saturday, Danni said to secure my tent, as a storm is coming and a hard rain is gonna come tonight.  After the final show, 2 am a hard rain fell.  A thunder and lightening show.  It was God's show.  And it was beautiful.  I lay partly sheltered under a cannopy laughing and smiling and watching the skies change so intensely beautifully, I watched a guy just stand in this flood of rains getting drenched just holding his beer in the same pose for hours. I still cant fully explain what happened there.  But as the lightening and storms screamed and sparked, the grand finale, I felt to myself that I could die right this minute and be happy as I have lived truly something special through this festival.



Festival season has just started again in Amsterdam and last week I played a gig at Ruigoord.  It was an International troubadours contest.  I really enjoyed it, I played 3 songs and got some great responses.  They gave me second place for it, which I was quite flattered by.  The skies were perfectly blue outside, the fire was burning, beautiful girls in summer dresses, the start of festival season.  It was when I saw some of the old faces, and the regulars, I asked myself if I truly wanted another season on the festivals in Amsterdam.  I loved them, but they are heavy times aswell.  Good parties, but I think I want to be somewhere else this summer, my heart is set on Switzerland and Berlin.  But back to Amsterdam......

I am still to write about what happened at the end and after the reggae album, but it is late now, and I think I will save that for a fresh as it's a biggy.  End of part 1


Download our album ‘Where The Days Have No Name’ full of harmony and love in every way.



Follow us on Soundcloud



Like us on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/deadseacaravan

And visit our digital HQ at www.deadseacaravan.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Zappas Vibrations

Although I speak with so much love for my studio space, it does come with its challenging sides; mainly, the noise. You can have it all cos...