Thursday 12 July 2012

East Or West

East or West

Wow, what a last couple of days it has been, from walking the streets all night and watching sunrise, to meeting a pro sax player to busk with, much has happened.  So before I tell of the last 2 weeks in Holland I need to put the last few days down.......

I drew my last 20 euroes out of the cash machine, and cruised with Ron down to the train station, it was an absolutley amazing time with him and Elaine, that was hard to part from, but I felt a few weeks in Amsterdam while Ron gets ready for his exhibition will be good to get some money in and then we can set the studio up in our new place 'The White House'.  It was 10 Euroes to get to Amsterdam, so once again everything I owned went with me on train and automobile to Amsterdam.  I was meeting up with Alix, a French girl I met in Paris, she was visiting for the weekend so I walked from the station to meet her.  God, I miss my bike when I am walking in Amsterdam.  You don't realise how much distance you cover on your bike.  I think I do about 20km a day.  I drink lots of water, buy my baguette and cheese in the day and I always share it with these ducks I know.  Anyway, I really felt the weight of the luggage and walking for an hour with a heavy load to Rembrandt plain was my first check point.  My friend from Magneet, Bart said I could stay at his place even though he was away, so I was very glad to be having a base I could drop this heavy load at and get to busking and biking round my beautiful Amsterdam again.  Arriving at Rembrandt plain as a golden sunset was in its most reflective, Vince, a reggae busker was playing there, I remember him from last year, he is top quality.  Infact, in my ledger last time, I rated all the buskers I seen, and he was one of the best.  I met up with Alix and her friend and she let me use her phone to phone Bart, no answer.  I tried again a few times and still no word, I began to worry and tried a few other friends I knew, but no repsonse.  I prepared myself for a night on the streets, it was a tropically hot evening and I knew Amsterdam better now than on the first night I arrived last year, when I thought I would have to stay on the streets.  So, I was a bit more confident this time....

I asked Alix if she would look after my stuff while I did an hours busking just round the corner at my old bridge.  They waited in my local coffee shop and I did my first busk since being back in Amsterdam.  I made 9e50 in 40 minutes and felt it was Amsterdams way of buying me a smoke and saying welcome back.  I rejoined Alix and enjoyed a joint.  Still no repsonse and nearly midnight.  I filled my flask up with water, got my coat and scarf out of my bag and thought about a plan for the night.  Alix would let me keep my bag and suticase at her hostel and I will pick it up in the morning.  We put the stuff in the hostel and then drank at the bar until about 3, I was preparing to leave when Alix's phone rang, it was Bart with an address and location of the spare key!  Ok, so I need a plan.  Its 3 am I have only a faint idea where the address is, no bike and still a heavy bag and guitar with me.  When I arrived in Amsterdam 2 weeks ago I stayed with Cato and she bestowed upon me a very wonderful dutch bike.  I wedded her and she became 'Rusty Springwheel'  I have a whole chapter to write on the characters of bikes in this city, and my first week in Amsterdam, but for now, it was 3 am and I still had the key to her, so I could walk to the East and find the bike, or head West and hope to find Barts.  I took my compass out, and headed East.  I hope her wheels still have breathe in them, she was only given 3 days to live by the fietsman.  I had faith in her though, she is 70 years old, and is rusted all over.  Her bell was mute, and her tyre ripped.  She was heavy riding at first, until I was riding through Ooster park and I just felt like someone was pushing me, it was Rusty Springwheel coming to life!  All of her sudden her steering loosened, she was getting faster and not breathing so heavy (when the tire rubs the frame) I bought her a new bell and set of night eyes and we have bonded great.  I was hoping she was still there, GOD please let her have air in her tyres was all I could say over and over again.  I had been walking for 2 hours solid with my stuff and my feet and ankles were really starting to give in when I came close to where I had parked her.  The tyres looked flat, but that could just be a the way she is leaning, I came closer, if they were flat I would be the other side of Amsterdam with no wheels and no energy in me.  I came closer, they looked good!  I reached down and grabbed her and she was fully pumped front and back!  I blew a kiss to the stars unlocked her and said hello.  She was glad to see me again, and I to see her.  Genuinely.

 It was after 5am and the sun was rising.  I had saved myself a joints worth and headed to my favourite spot in flevo park.  It is a beautiful clearing hidden away, facing East.  You can see the dykes of the Magneet festival in the distance and feel a very special festival brewing there in a few months.  Sitting on a log in this beautiful clearing, I watched this burning red sunrise, which slowly filled the sky with a golden morning light that was waking all the life around the river.  My friends the ducks came to say hello to me.  I was playing guitar and a young lad and girl came over and joined me.  We said nothing to eachother, we just enjoyed this very beautiful red sunrise.  They gave me a cooked pancake, which was delicous as I was very hungry at this time.  I played them some guitar as we just sat there under this golden first light.  I stayed there untill around 7 am then went to try and find my way to Barts house......

I didn't realise how tired I was.  My legs were so heavy, my mind was starting to make blotches in my vision from lack of sleep.  I had my last 5 euroes in the world and was tempted to buy some breakfast, but wanted to wait until 10 to get a baguette and cheese from the good old Albert Heijn.  It was approaching 8am when I got to the centre.   I knew Alix needed to check out at 10, so I tried to remember my way to Barts, and after about an hours riding I found it!  I found the spare key from the hiding space and went in the front door.  The key to his appartment took me 30 mins to open, it was one of those sweet spot locks.  All kinds were going through my mind, 'What if the locks had changed, and he forgot'.  Clink....It opened!  I threw my stuff down and just collapsed.  After a few hours of sleeping Alix was phoning me to come pick my bags up.  I slapped my face a bit to wake up, and set out to centrum again.  I drunk her beer that echoed in my bare belly and hoped it would give me a blast of energy for what I needed to accomplish.  Picture the scene if you will...  A 70 year old bike with a split ruptured back wheel, hard peddler and creaky.  A big suitcase bag.  A back pack and me standing there swaying from tiredness.  I heaved and lifted the big bag over my back.  OW!  It was ripping into my shoulders, and I still had my 70 litre back pack which I put round one arm.  I tried to climb onto the bike and find the energy for an hours ride back to Barts place, I was wobbling all over the place, but I finally got a pace going, as long as I didnt have to stop.  I did a few times.  My head was down and I just tried to ride through the pain with an energy from somewhere.  I made it though.  I felt like kissing the floor, but I resisted and just slept.........

No comments:

Post a Comment

Zappas Vibrations

Although I speak with so much love for my studio space, it does come with its challenging sides; mainly, the noise. You can have it all cos...