Thursday 12 July 2012

Amster Damn

Well, here are a few bursts of my adventures in this magical city.  Arriving in Amsterdam with these 2 French guys I got a lift with, we made it 100 meters at most before we hit the coffee shop and had our first Amsterdam joint together.  It was a special moment that, I have lived it in my mind for many years, dreaming of reaching the place where the criminality is taken away from something I enjoy doing.  Sitting in this cosy living room type cafe with people just enjoying a spliff it felt like my body had arrived where my dreams had laid.  But that is just me romanticizing the first joint, having the freedom to smoke a joint whenever you want immediately gave me a strong sense of responsibility in myself.

After the very special first joint, we wondered around, and I was getting bikes from every direction.  People riding motorbikes on the path, and no helmets, I was dazed and amazed every one of my first few hours.  You can never hide the fact it is your first time in Amsterdam, its like you have a big sign over your head.  I knew from these first moments that I wanted to stay here as long as I can.  There is so much to take in, it would be impossible to completely understand the city in a few weeks.  I spent the first few days walking round and round, never knowing where I was going, but always ending up where I was meant to be.  The flea markets are like one big second hand shop!  Selling the most amazing jackets and clothes and other prescious treasures.  After the constant walking in my 5 quid shoes my feet and legs ached all over, carrying my bag, guitar I couldnt walk no more.  I Threw my shoes and some uneeded clothes away and bought a pair of shoes and a tent.  I found a campsite that was cheap enough to at least buy me a week or so of leaving my stuff somewhere while I discovered and experienced this great city.  On the last steps my feet could carry me I found the campsite in the East of Amsterdam and set up camp there.

The next thing I needed was a bike!  And along came blue bell.  Bought for a bargain at the flea market, I had a mount!  Blue bell my bike, and Red wood my guitar.  I in these first few weeks I would ride around every square of Amsterdam finding the buskers and trying to understand the city before I started playing myself.  I knew I would need to soon, as to pay campsite fee.  But I wanted to wait till I understood her more.  I was pulled over to the statue of Rembrandt square by this wonderfully sung version of Yer Blues by this girl and lad pair.  I sat by the square and enjoyed beautifully the songs they played.  They then said this is our last song and played Don't Think Twice, my eyes welled up and I had tears in my eyes.  There have been many moments like this in Amsterdam, where her beauty and wonder just stuns me. The experience I had buying a tin and some papers and Nepalese hash from Nigel's store would make me laugh loud and smile as I rode on my bike thinking about.  It might be hard to translate in words, but he struggled to add up the total on the calculator and tried to do it in his head but couldn't, then I tried and couldn't so we settled on 8 euros.  Will always tickle me that moment.

After a week I started busking.  I felt I knew her a lot more to play music in her streets.  It's not as if your singing to the people who pass, but to Amsterdam herself.  Offering her what you have, and seeing if she will take you in.  If you respect Amsterdam, she will respect you.  That's the way the roads work, and the laws.  Just look out for other people and get to where you need to go, use nearly any road or path you like, but be careful.  Now I had a campsite, I found a perfect lake and park to go and learn some new songs.  I knew I had to up my repatoire loads, so I started memorizing Dylan lyrics in the tent and then playing the guitar and singing them in the park.  I got a load on board and did my first busk.  In the first 40 minutes I had made 12 Euros so I got myself a cuppa, had a smoke and then went back.  There are so many bridges in Amsterdam and it is so quiet of a city there a many great and perfect places to busk.  I found the perfect starter bridge and closed my eyes and played.  A woman came upto me and just gave me 15 Euros in notes and said thank you.  I felt that was Amsterdams way of saying yes to me.  So I started to memorise more songs and go more frequently.  It was then that I seen an advert for volunteer help at this festival.  So I immediately got in touch and that will be part 2.  PHEW.  Feels like I have unloaded a few of my very special first moments of life in Amsterdam!  Doooey!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Zappas Vibrations

Although I speak with so much love for my studio space, it does come with its challenging sides; mainly, the noise. You can have it all cos...