Sunday 27 January 2013

King of the Road

I felt the chapter about Trigger was incomplete, and there is so much more I need to describe about how great it is to have a bike here.  Two nights ago, I raced (friendly) against Jasper and his thoroughbred Dutch Legs and bike.  It was a skirmish all the way, until the ticksy (triggsy) Trigger took a short cut and reached the Windmill first.  It was a true Tortoise and Hare affair.

I always say how fast Trigger can go, there are not many people who overtake him on these roads, usually only racer bikes.  You feel the urge that when you are taking over somebody on the road, to look as natural as you can, like you are not trying to ride as fast as you can.  I love the wobble that you start with from the lights.  You wait at the red light, along with the people who overtook you, or you overtook on the last stretch.  The lights equal the race again, then when the lights change green, there is this beautiful wobble as you try steady yourself and try to get a good starting speed.  Trigger usually always gets pole position from the start.


After a few jointjes and Wijn at Jaspers we head to the windmill.  I slowly start to get Trigger into a fast flow, and Jasper is eager to show his speed (Which after years of riding a bak fiets and being Dutch he has a strong advantage)  I catch him up and he says, let's speed things up a bit.  He races on, and I keep pushing Trigger to above 20kmh, but keeping steady as the snow can be treacherous, especially after a few joints and wines.  Jasper has shot ahead around the corner, and when I reach the corner, I find him stopped brushing himself down after falling off.  I ask if he is OK, and then Trigger dashes on in front.

I feel him creeping up behind me again, as we are approaching a set of lights.  Jasper gets the lead after the lights, but Trigger is nicely warmed up now.  I take the lead, and each set of lights we go through after stopping is more of a skirmish between us both.  Jasper had been burning himself out by showing how fast he can go, but you have to stop at the lights, and start again, I felt I had a good energy level and when I seen a massive straight ahead with no lights, I put him into full gear.  Pushing 30 I get far in front, but not for long, as there is Jasper once again riding strong and going for the take over.

Once we reach the city stretch, it becomes a different game.  Jasper has shot on ahead, but he missed the shortcut I always take!  seeing him far ahead I turn down the alleyway to get to the Windmill even quicker.  I get to the final stretch before the Windmill expecting him to be not far behind or already there.  When my phone goes, and it is he, thinking that I had got lost and he was waiting for me!  I said I am waiting for you at the finish line!  He got there, and we had some very nice Leffe biertjes and talked about a rematch.

I wonder why the Dutch don't always win the Tour De France as they are riding bikes from birth.  The Dutch girls are beautiful and tall with long strong legs and it is beautiful when you see an old woman take you over on a bike.  The roads and pathways are all catered to serve the bike.  The bike is king.  The car is a nuisance, and is naturally subservient to the bike.  They are always conscious of them here.  Whereas in Liverpool it is the other way round.  The Car is king there.  But here, as I ride through this snowy cold, windy, beautiful city.  I feel like a true king. 


Download our album ‘Where The Days Have No Name’ full of harmony and love in every way.



Follow us on Soundcloud



Like us on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/deadseacaravan

And visit our digital HQ at www.deadseacaravan.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Zappas Vibrations

Although I speak with so much love for my studio space, it does come with its challenging sides; mainly, the noise. You can have it all cos...