Sunday 27 January 2013

The Dead Sea......Businessman?

When I decided to stay here in Amsterdam, it became a second thought to bring my label with me.  I thought I could build it here, it is a rich city with an unsaturated music scene.  Whereas Liverpool is a poor city with a saturated music scene.  I felt, yeah I could do something with Lost at Sea here.  But things became a lot clearer after a good chat my good friend Jasper.

It is two conflicting personalities he told me, you can't be this travelling busking Dead Sea Captain, and at the same time be a business man.  It is two different hats to wear.  I looked at the hat I always wear for busking and  it hit me clearly.  I set out on this adventure to build myself as a musician, not be a business man.  Why should I focus energies on building a label with this suitcase full of old music I produced and wrote.  When in fact I should keep building the Dead Sea Captain and get in touch with already established labels here.  I set out for a fresh start, and the label is part of my old life.

Perhaps I feel obliged to carry the label on, as it holds some great music and ideas, but just not yet.  The goal is to get a strong web presence and live presence for the Dead Sea Captain.  Some busking videos, Jasper is planning a bike tour on the bak fiets where we would ride with a group of people of bikes, and then start playing in random spots from the bak fiets.  Capturing it on video, and getting festival bookings along the line.

When I decided I was going to build Lost at Sea in Amsterdam, I had this niggling doubt that it wasn't right.  I buried it though and thought.  No, Let's build a great bond and connection with Liverpool and Amsterdam.  Which I believe I will.  But just not yet.  The focus is to become a great acoustic songsmith, and I don't get that by sitting on a computer, networking as a booking agency and publishing contracts.  Nah, I get that by getting out and busking and playing wherever I can.  And that is what I will continue to do for the future. 

Jasper has this great place on the outskirts of Amsterdam.  It's where I recorded that little 'When Autumn Leaves' E.P.  Over the next ten days I am there again, to start recording some more songs I have been writing.  He is a cool guy Jasper with a golden heart, and I look forward to getting involved in a few of his plans for the spring and summer.  I enjoy the way our talks evolve, he offers a great different perspective to my sometime blind enthusiasm, and that talk we had over a few joints and some watered down sharp white wine made the future a lot clearer for me.

I need to accept that I make a million different plans sometimes and am always thinking of new directions to head to, but I forget that I already have a plan, and that is my own journey to become a great acoustic songsmith and player, and build a great musical chapter of The Dead Sea Captain.  I should have another acoustic e.p recorded and up for download in the next few weeks.  I still feel I have a lot to write about, and will be doing a lot more chapters on this blog.

Download our album ‘Where The Days Have No Name’ full of harmony and love in every way.



Follow us on Soundcloud



Like us on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/deadseacaravan

And visit our digital HQ at www.deadseacaravan.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Zappas Vibrations

Although I speak with so much love for my studio space, it does come with its challenging sides; mainly, the noise. You can have it all cos...